[cvsnt] Bundle of questions for CVS-Migration

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Jan 15 13:33:32 GMT 2003

> >5) We used the tcl- Macros (tcl81.dll) - do the macros still work with
> >this dll or do I have to install python ?
>
> I'll leave that one for WinCVS experts.  AFAIK the answer is yes, but
> I don't use macros so can't be sure.

TCL macros will NOT work in WinCvs 1.3 without Python installed. However,
the standard Python distributions already contain the TCL binaries, so you
should in fact be able to simply replace your current TCL installation with
Python.
The only catch is when you're using third-party TCL macros that depend on
binary packages which are not part of the Python distribution (e.g. FTP). In
that case you should keep your TCL installation in addition to the Python
installation.

Also, for WinCvs 1.3b10 you will have to apply a little trickstery to make
TCL macros work without a separate TCL installation:

- create a file named TclProxy.py or whatever you wish to call it (the only
important bit is the .py extension) and place it in your WinCvs\Macros
directory.

- inside it put the following line:

  import FixTk

- now restart WinCvs or just hit the Macros|ReloadMacro menu item.

This workaround will probably no longer be necessary from WinCvs 1.3b11
onward as that one will most likely include a macro of mine which already
contains that line.

One more note: WinCvs 1.3 introduced a new program architecture which
allowed decoupling of the cvs client executable. Therefore you should make
sure to always use the latest CVSNT binaries (or at least the same as on the
server) on the clients, too.

Hope this helps.

Oliver
JID: ogiesen at jabber.org