[cvsnt] Shared folder problems and workarounds

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jan 31 21:28:14 GMT 2003

Adam Shand wrote:

> I see from the FAQ that CVSNT only works on shared folders if you only
> use pserver and disable impersonation.  Unfortunately that pretty much
> kills most of our justification for moving from Unix CVS (being able to
> control access via Windows file permissons).

There are lots of reasons...

1. Repository integrity.  Network filesystems are *not* safe enough to put
something as important as a source code repository on.  If you don't care
about your data then sure, go ahead.  Otherwise find another way.

2. Speed.  Everything will go over the network at least twice so performance
will suck.

3. OS restrictions.  Impersonation explicitly excludes the ability to access
network shares.  This is a security measure so that if one machine is
breached then your network remains secure.  Active Directory actually has a
way to allow this with a special privilege & sspi does request its use but
most admins don't allow it just for security reasons (it has to be enabled
on the active directory, the user account and I believe the machine to be
effective).