[cvsnt] Edit in offline mode

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jul 2 21:58:57 BST 2003

pushok wrote:

>  (www.pushok.com) and I have many requests from users, that slightly
>  surprised that offline edit\unedit not work.
>      Once again it is possible to make simple file writable, but for me
>      this
>  is more dangerous that offline edit\unedit.
>      So may be possible to return back default behavior and make current
>  behavior controlled via some option? For example for edit -c I think
>  normal behavior is fails in offline, but simple edit should work, I
>  think.

It can't - it's architecturally impossible with the way that cvsnt handles
online/offline (which has quite a few advantages, any why it was changed
over a year ago).

I see no reason to use cvs edit when offline.  Its purpose is for reserved
checkouts and tracking of nonmergable files, both of which require you to
be online.  90% of users will either never use edit, and of the remainder
most will be online permanently anyway, so you're basically asking for a
major change to the system just to cope with a very small minority of
users.

Making a file writable is *identical* to an offline edit (except for the
copying the original, but you can do that with explorer anyay if it
matters).  But then writable is the default in cvs anyway.. for a good
reason - cvs copes with multiple editors of a file perfectly well.