[cvsnt] One Repository or Multiple Repositories

Stasko, Roger Roger.Stasko at LibertyMutual.com
Thu Jul 3 20:38:24 BST 2003

I recommend using multiple, customer-based repositories if your chosen
development tool supports them.
For example, Eclipse/WebSphere Studio Application Developer allows each
project to have a different repository, so there's no penalty for having
multiple repositories.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Williamson [mailto:dwilliamson at ivsi.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 2:18 PM
To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org
Subject: [cvsnt] One Repository or Multiple Repositories

To anyone who has an opinion,

Our custom software shop is new to CVSNT and CVS in general.  We are
debating the best approach to setting up our repository.  Should we
setup a repository for each customer that we have and put each of their
projects in a separate module or should we have one large software
repository that has a module for each customer?

The administrators thought was to create a repository for each customer
and place their projects within it.  Reason:  If something happened to a
repository then our down time would be limited to one customer and
backup recovery would be easier by replacing the entire repository from
last night's backup.

The users thought was to create a single "Software" repository and
create a module for each customer and place their projects within it.
Reason:  It would be easier to just go to the same repository and list
the modules.