[cvsnt] One Repository or Multiple Repositories

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Jul 4 00:14:51 BST 2003

If you share modules between customers, then you should have them all in the
same repository.

You can restore individual modules if there is some sort of disaster, but
I'm not aware of anyone losing information to CVS.  You should consider the
administration and module sharing aspects more than disaster recovery, since
those have a higher impact.

I have a handful of repositories set up.  We have several developers split
into a number of teams that have little interaction and virtually no file
sharing.  I elected to set up one repository per independent group so that
they could administer their own repositories and control read/write access
conveniently for each (via the CVSROOT writers file).

Take some time and think about what you want to do with your
repositories--what scripting, access control, etc.  That should lead you to
a logical ordering of the repositories.

Regards,

Glen Starrett