[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Ori Berger cvsnt-newsgroups at orib.net
Tue Jul 15 08:20:58 BST 2003

Bo Berglund wrote:
> I would have a hard time installing anything but the MS SQL-2000 on my
> servers for example. Using MySql is not viable due to their licensing
> requirements and all other alternatives are rather expensive too.

MySQL is dual licensed, with one license being the GPL. Why would
you have a problem installing anything GPL?

MySQL 4 is also embeddable, which would allow CVSNT to not require a
separate database installaion. There's also Sqlite
<http://www.sqlite.org>, which is available only in embeddable form,
and is quite fast, and I suppose there are others as well.

> So since you make CVSNT using Visual Studio I guess the best bet would
> be Microsoft MSDE2000?

Don't know if that's still the case, but it used to have a rather
small artificial limit on table sizes (4GB or something). While this
is sufficient for most source repositories, it might be insufficient
if you regularly commit binary files that are over 1-meg in size.

> What will happen with systems like ViewCvs in such a scenario?

Rendering a read-only file system version of the repository would
make these work. This is a functionality also needed if you want to
convert a repository from the database back to a filesystem.

BTW, I've started using cvstrac recently. I'm not sure it's CVSNT
compatible (still using a standard CVS install), but it's lean,
mean, robust and simple. It has a less capable viewer for repository
files / revisions than, say, ViewCVS, but it does have a bug
tracking system that integrates with CVS quite well, and it also has
a built in Wiki. Try it if you have the time
<http://www.cvstrac.org> ; It uses Sqlite as an embedded database.

> OTOH:
> With such a system there will be no way people would even consider
> accessing the raw repository other than through the cvs service. :-)

Oh, I wish that were true. They *will* be selecting from the
database directly, and occasionally update records. It's human nature.

Ori.