[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at removethis.system3r.se
Tue Jul 15 07:54:46 BST 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:50:19 +0100, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>I've not disappeared...!
>2.1.2 could be released soon, but it'll be more of a 'technology preview'
>than a release...  this has a (simple) SQLServer backend which is the start
>of moving cvs onto being able to use a proper database.

If you go the SQL way then you have to be careful what engine you
choose to use. For one thing the setup will be much more involved (I
know, I have struggled with installing applications driven with MS
SQLServer-2000 for the past 1-2 years). You have to deal with things
like SQLServer security updates and logins and what have you....
I feel such a thing should not be done without some very careful
consideration.
I would have a hard time installing anything but the MS SQL-2000 on my
servers for example. Using MySql is not viable due to their licensing
requirements and all other alternatives are rather expensive too.
So since you make CVSNT using Visual Studio I guess the best bet would
be Microsoft MSDE2000?

What will happen with systems like ViewCvs in such a scenario?

OTOH:
With such a system there will be no way people would even consider
accessing the raw repository other than through the cvs service. :-)

/Bo Berglund