[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt status

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Jul 15 19:16:06 BST 2003

> There'll always be a place for CVS....  I see no reason why both
> projects can't coexist.  I can't use subversion because it requires
> Apache & we're an IIS shop here, and I expect there are lots
> of people
> in that position.

There's no reason why Apache and IIS can't coexist on the same machine.  I
have both running on my dev machine right now and it hasn't had any problems
once I told one of them to stop listening on 80.

The same thing applies to MySQL and SQL Server--I have both of those running
on my production machine (Mantis uses MySQL, our internal apps use SQL
Server).

I would fully agree that there are administrative advantages to having 1
platform to run all you applications on, to administer, to own.  For a
MS-only shop it would make sense to go SQL Server + CVSNT using SQL Server.
I just have this purist desire to keep free software free... and I don't
trust MS not to change their licensing terms...

However, as for me, I'll happily move CVSNT into SQL Server if that is the
way it goes.  There are LOTS of fun things I can do in the database that I
wouldn't dream of in RCS files!

Glen Starrett