[cvsnt] impersonation and pserver failures (continued)

Scott.Warnick at flyingj.com Scott.Warnick at flyingj.com
Thu Jul 17 01:03:40 BST 2003

After some more experimenting, I'm pretty sure the problem is the with way
I've set up the users on the Windows 2003 server and not with CVSNT. If I
turn off impersonation, set SystemAuth=yes and use the domain users for my
CVS users, all is well.

Since this works, I have two questions:
1. How important is it REALLY to have separate pserver logins? I don't
think anyone is really going to sit outside of our building with a protocol
sniffer waiting for the change to capture our source code. It also looks to
me like the passwords which are stored are encrypted with something like
the Unix crypt utility, so they are at least as secure as the Unix
passwords themselves.
2. Could someone actually write a clear and detailed document giving the
procedure for actually setting up local users, impersonation, etc. so that
pserver with a separate password file will work? I will be happy to test
this for the community---unlike Bo, I actually have a domain and can test
the domain stuff thoroughly.

I would also be happy to collate and correct so that there is a single
correct document which describes how to get CVSNT up and running. There are
many manuals now, telling many stories, some of which remain true, some of
which are now outdated, and some of which were always just plain wrong.

Anyhow, thanks in advance to any and all who can help me out with this.