[cvsnt] Problems with ampersand modules

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jul 30 16:28:48 BST 2003

John Hall wrote:

> On 25 July 2003 18:32, Matthew Harvey <MHarvey at axeda.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm having a problem with ampersand modules in 2.0.6 which is similar
>> to others that I've seen posted... I haven't seen a definitive
>> solution, though, other than to roll back to 2.0.3?
>
> I'm seeing the same problem in 2.0.8. I've filed a bug report at
> cvsnt.org (bug 152).

The bug is fixed (mostly). '-a' doesn't work but it's relatively trivial to
rewrite without using it (it's a redundant option), plus to fix it would be
to break ampersand modules again... they're mutually exclusive options.
I've actually considered deleting the modules stuff completely because at
the moment it's more trouble than it's worth - i have over 20 test cases
now and that all work correctly, but every couple of days someone comes up
with another way of breaking it.  Modules would be far simpler specified by
something like:

proj:
  proj1=internal/proj1
  utils/common/common1=internal/utils/common1
  utils/common/common2=internal/utils/common2

Which (I think) specifies exactly the same data as the modules file in the
bug report but in half the lines (and less than half the code).

..problem is I can't make such a change in a release cycle, so modules will
have to stay broke for now.