[cvsnt] pserver && encryption

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Jun 6 10:07:40 BST 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:33:51 -0400, "Keith D. Zimmerman"
<keith at eagle-solutions.com> wrote:

>So there would be no way other than user education to prevent the
>clueless from spewing passwords across the untrusted network using
>pserver, correct?

If you delete the pserver protocol from the server then a pserver client will
never be able to connect.  Other than that, it's an inherent weakness of the
pserver protocol.

>"all of the above" - so even if strict checking is off, it'll still say
>the certificate is invalid if it comes from cacert/verisign, but has
>been revoked, or is invalid according to the cert authority, or the
>CommonName does not match?=09

Yes (not 100% sure of the revoked question... the openssl book is unclear as
to whether it checks the CRL by default.  I'd expect it does, though).