[cvsnt] cvsnt / samba problem

Patrick Olinet patrick.olinet at ard.fr
Wed Jun 18 13:29:24 BST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to use cvsnt as a CVS client on a Windows shared drive but
I'm facing some problems.

Here is my setup :
  - client : Windows XP Pro SP1, cvsnt 2.0.4
  - server : linux debian woody, cvs 1.11.5, samba 2.2.8a

My CVS repository is located on my linux server and I am the only user
of this CVS server.

I want to use my Windows PC as a developpment platform and, for some
reasons, my CVS working area ("sandbox") needs to be on a windows shared
drive. This shared drive is actually located on the linux server and
Samba makes this drive reachable from the Windows client.

Let's say this shared drive is mapped to the 'X:' drive on my Windows PC.

If I try to checkout my module from the CVS repository with the '-P'
option (there are some empty directories (/tmp for instance) that I
don't want to fetch), then I got some errors. Here is the output :

X:\dev>c:cvs -d :pserver:polinet at 192.168.1.45:/var/lib/cvs co -P resam_www
cvs server: Updating resam_www

/* ... */

cvs server: Updating resam_www/tmp
c:cvs checkout: cannot remove resam_www/tmp: Directory not empty
c:cvs checkout: cannot remove resam_www/files/img/metaphore: Directory
not empty

c:cvs checkout: cannot remove resam_www/files/img/ard: Directory not empty

But obviously resam_www/tmp is indeed empty :

X:\dev>dir resam_www\tmp
  Le volume dans le lecteur X s'appelle polinet
  Le numéro de série du volume est 5D0E-1516

  Répertoire de X:\dev\resam_www\tmp

18/06/2003  14:19    <REP>          .
18/06/2003  14:19    <REP>          ..
18/06/2003  14:19    <REP>          CVS
                0 fichier(s)                0 octets
                3 Rép(s)   2 268 463 104 octets libres

If I checkout this module on a local drive or on a regular windows
shared drive (ie one that is located on a regular Windows server), then
there isn't any problem. So it seems related to Samba.

But if I use the cygwin cvs client on this samba share, then it also works.

So it's probably related to the way cvsnt access the shared drive.
I've tried to play with the samba parameteres, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions ?

If you think it's more a Samba issue, then I'll post this message later
on on the samba mailing list.

Thanks for your help.

-Patrick

PS : I'm not subscribed to this mailing list, so please CC your reply
using my mail-address.