[cvsnt] cvsnt / samba problem

Patrick Olinet patrick.olinet at ard.fr
Mon Jun 23 09:02:14 BST 2003

ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough about my setup. I am of course, the only
user of my sandbox (btw, what would be the point of having several users
using the same sandbox instead of several sandboxes ?). Actually, I am
for the moment the only user of this repository.

The point to put this sandbox on a network shared drive is that it's
actually hosted by my samba/apache linux server and the apache server
can access my sandbox files (most of them are .php or .html) directly.

When you deal with web developpment, you spend a lot of time
adding/fixing visual effects in your html code and you'd like to see the
results often and quickly through you web browser accessing your web
server.
For instance, let's say you're building an html table with some column
widths to adjust. You would do something like that :
   1. Edit your html file in your sandbox (table.html for instance).
   2. Save it
   3. Go to your browser window and render your modified html file
(Shit-Ctrl-R for instance). Here, the browser is accessing the web
server (because there may be some dynamic stuff in your code). The URL
is something like http://mywebserver/mysandbox/table.html.
   4. See the result
   5. If something is to be adjusted, go back to 1.

You may have to do that 2 or 3 times a minute !

So I don't think that to commit the files between stages 2. and 3. (as I
read it in a previous thread) is an acceptable solution since it takes a
lot of time compared to the time consumed by the other stages. And I
also think that it would also 'pollute' the CVS repository by putting
some potential broken files in it (your working html file could contain
typos, your php files may not even compile, ...). But I understand that
this may not be a problem for some users because tags can help dealing
with that.

Once again, the point of a shared drive sandbox is not to share the
sandbox with other users, but to make it accessible to the web browser.

Hope this could clarify my needs.

-Patrick