[cvsnt] cvsnt / samba problem

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon Jun 23 15:01:47 BST 2003

Patrick Olinet wrote:
> When you deal with web developpment, you spend a lot of time
> adding/fixing visual effects in your html code and you'd like to see the
> results often and quickly through you web browser accessing your web
> server.

Been there, done that!  We use autoupdated web sites all day long, and have for
a couple of years (multiple developers).  Before POSTCOMMIT was available, I had
another way of doing it which required somewhat less than 1 minute lag between
commit and the file being active on the web site.  It is something you quickly
get used to and it doesn't slow down development in any measureable way.  Think
of it as a way to write good code to start with, rather than the scribble/check
way of thinking. ;~)

> also think that it would also 'pollute' the CVS repository by putting
> some potential broken files in it (your working html file could contain
> typos, your php files may not even compile, ...). But I understand that
> this may not be a problem for some users because tags can help dealing
> with that.

It really doesn't hurt to have lots of versions in the repository.  And yes,
using tags (or forcing the revision to the next major level) does nicely deal
with broken intermediate versions.  We have branched a site on the test server
prior to major code changes, keeping the HEAD on the production server, and
simply merged the test code back to HEAD only when it was stable (and the task
was complete).  It is absolutely not a problem to have broken code on the test
server; it is only a big problem to have it on the production server. ;~)

That said, if you are dealing with pure HTML (i.e. no SSI/CGI/etc), there is
absolutely no reason to save that to the web server to preview it.  Most quality
editors either provide a preview mode or can push the page to a browser (via DDE
or COM, typically).  The only time you _have_ to commit/update the web server is
when you are writing active pages of some sort.  And believe me, it takes almost
no time to commit and have the autoupdate run (frequently less time than it
takes for me to switch to my browser).

HTH

John