[cvsnt] how to retrieve a deleted file ..

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Mar 6 22:27:58 GMT 2003

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 20:53:28 +0000, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Tony Hoyle wrote:
>

>> Just 'cvs add' it again.  cvs will resurrect it automatically.
>>
>> I don't think there's a GUI for this but it's easy from the command line.
>>
>OTOH it's not quite that easy...  I'll have to have a look to see if I can
>make it simpler, as I'm pretty sure it *should* be just a matter of
>re-adding it...
>
>Tony

After fiddling around a bit and finding a better target for the tests
I can confirm this behaviour:
1. cvs remove (via the WinCvs GUI) gets the file into the Attic
2. cvs add File tells me that the file is now back and I have to do a
commit.
3. After the commit nothing changes in my sandbox and on the server it
is still in the attic
4. If I now do a cvs update cvs complains that newborn File has
disappeared. And nothing else changes, no sign of the file and it is
still in the attic.

I would think that people expect this instead:
1. cvs remove moves file to Attic (works OK)
2. cvs add File should resurrect it if a cvs commit is done
3. cvs commit should bring the file back from Attic
4. cvs update should bring the copy back to the sandbox
3+4 should also be one operation so that 4 doesn't need to be manually
started.

3 and 4 don't work at all....

Remember, once the file is gone there is just old rememberances that
gives you a clue on which filename to call back. And you don't have a
true local file to use on the commit, so I would think that it is a
special case when a previously removed file is to be brought back in
the sense that the cvs commit should know about this and not require a
local copy to exist....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)