Trouble accessing repository on a share (was RE: [cvsnt] SSPI Protocol security)

Thomas Muller ttm at online.no
Tue Mar 11 16:27:11 GMT 2003

Hi,

My config is:

CvsNt: 1.11.1.3-73
OS: Win2000 5.00.2195 SP2

CVSROOT/config:
systemauth=no

CVSROOT/passwd:
ttm:

The host running cvsnt and the host with the share has a user ttm with
administrator rights. The share is shared with read/write permissions to
everyone. The cvsnt service is running as administrator. I use the SSPI
protocol.

I've added the repository on the share to cvsnt (via the console). Logging
in works fine. I know for sure that cvsnt reads the CVSROOT directory on the
share because it detects a deliberately entered syntax error in
CVSROOT/config. However, when I try to checkout it reports back with "cvs
[server aborted]: Cannot access G:\cvstest\CVSROOT: Permission denied".

The exact same thing happens if I access the repository via a UNC drive (the
console does not support adding UNC drives, but I added it directly in the
registry. Note that in this configuration cvsnt is still able to read
CVSROOT\config: a deliberately entered syntax error in this file is duly
reported back to the client.

I suspect that the cvsnt process is allowed to _read_ files in repository
but fails when a write is issued. Am I on the right path?

I can't be the first to have this or a similar configuration, and I cannot
believe it's a bug in cvsnt. It must be a configuration setting but I just
can't get my head around it.

Any ideas or input would be much appreciated.

--

Thomas

Copyright ERA Technology Ltd. 2002. (www.era.co.uk). All rights reserved.
The information supplied in this Commercial Communication should be treated
in confidence.
No liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss or damage
suffered as a result of accessing this message or any attachments.