[cvsnt] RE: AGAIN: Trouble accessing repository on a share (was RE: [cvsn t] SSPIProtocol security)

Ian Epperson Ian at axiomdesign.com
Wed Mar 12 18:47:55 GMT 2003

It is my understanding that CVS-NT DOES NOT support keeping a repository on
remote machine via a shared drive.  There are complicated and unpredictable
permission problems with doing this.  The repository MUST be on a local
drive.

Perhaps your remote machine is backed up, but the CVS machine isn't.  I
would write a script that nightly (before backups) shuts down CVS, copies
the data to the backed up machine, then restarts CVS.

Drives are cheap.  Cheaper than most people's time.  If you're concerned
about data availability, buy two, and mirror them on your CVS machine.  That
will probably be an easier, faster, and cheaper operation than working
around the permission problems that CVS runs into when dealing with a shared
drive.

This topic seems to come up about once a week.  Perhaps it should be added
in BIG BOLD letters to a howto or other documentation.  Maybe even a popup
in the GUI when adding a repository "Note that if the drive you are adding
is a shared drive, THIS OPERATION WILL NOT WORK" or something obvious like
that.

Maybe a method for CVS-NT server process to detect if the repository folder
is on a network drive and throw an appropriately worded warning at startup?

I should have known better than to trust the logic of a half-sized
thermocapsulary dehousing assister...