[cvsnt] [Solved] Rlog problem with CVSNT, ViewCVS

Jim jdrlist at hangar5.net
Tue Mar 18 09:39:06 GMT 2003

I just solved my problem getting ViewCVS to work on a CVSNT server.

drumroll please...

  Spaces in the author's name.

If you try command line or turning onViewCVS debug, you can see Rlog fails
with the message "missing ; after author" If you look in ,v files, you can
see lines like this:

1.1
date 2002.02.26.08.03.20; author James Rudnicki; state Exp;

So spaces are evil ( as usual ).  Windows allows logins to have spaces,
unlike the *nix heritage from which CVS derives, so this entry would not be
expected.  This unexpected author field can occur when you use :ntserver: or
the local protocols to access the repository.

Solutions:
1) To fix, you can find every bad author field in every ,v file and edit
it--one big find and replace.  Be careful about binaries and some editors
though.
2) Get clean update--delete module--recreate using no space name.  This
dumps history but is quick.
3) Fix parsing in rlog code...

I hope this helps somebody else.

nite,