[cvsnt] Workflow advice saught

Ian Epperson Ian at axiomdesign.com
Tue Mar 18 20:48:04 GMT 2003

First off, make it policy that all changes are committed before nightly
backups run.  Any data loss responsibility falls on the person who was not
following policy.  Keep the sandboxes on the local machines and DO NOT back
them up.  Use a client like TortoiseCVS to easily show files that need to be
committed.

Second, with the servers running on the local machines, you won't
necessarily need to maintain DNS entries.  Suppose you distribute a hosts
file that indicates "my-client1  127.0.0.1, my-client2  127.0.0.1", or (I'm
not sure if this is possible) convince your DNS server to return 127.0.0.1
mapping for any of the "my-clientx" requests.

This assumes that you actually need to view the different "sites" as
independent.  Can the live as sub-folders on the local web server for
developing purposes?

Another approach may be to have an often "CVS Updated" development server.
This is similar to how we occasionally work here.  With 5 programmers on a
project (we work with A/V control systems), each fixing his own issue and
confirming that his code will compile, committing the code, then we nominate
someone to do a "UCDR" (Update, Compile, Download (to the system), Reboot
(the system) ) to get everyone's changes into the running system.

Now, since you don't have to compile ASP (unless something's changed since I
worked on it last), a simple update on the development server should
suffice.  This can be scripted so anyone can do it for any project at any
time to test out their code changes.  Once everyone is content with the code
running on the dev server, update the live servers (which is now running out
of its own sandbox).

Hows that sound?

I'll bill you later ;-)

I should have known better than to trust the logic of a half-sized
thermocapsulary dehousing assister...