[cvsnt] Workflow advice saught

Drew McLellan dru at dreamweaverfever.com
Tue Mar 18 21:16:03 GMT 2003

Ian Epperson wrote:
> First off, make it policy that all changes are committed before nightly
> backups run.  Any data loss responsibility falls on the person who was not
> following policy.  Keep the sandboxes on the local machines and DO NOT back
> them up.  Use a client like TortoiseCVS to easily show files that need to be
> committed.

Already working with TortoiseCVS - it's a nice little tool.

Unfortunately, I can't force developers to commit changes nightly. I
don't want them committing code until it's stable.

> Second, with the servers running on the local machines, you won't
> necessarily need to maintain DNS entries.

I probably wasn't clear on this point - we'll be running all the sites
on one dev server, not locally. IIS only allows one website per machine
unless you're running Server.

> This assumes that you actually need to view the different "sites" as
> independent.  Can the live as sub-folders on the local web server for
> developing purposes?

They need to be different sites with different subdomains. To complex to
explain why, but take it as read.

> Another approach may be to have an often "CVS Updated" development server.
> Hows that sound?

That sound a little more like the model I'm after. However, as ASP
doesn't compile, the way to test code before committing is to run it
through a web server. This brings me back to the sites * projects *
developers problem.

Thanks for your response.

drew