[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Eclipse: Sharing a project that does not exist in Repository

Emile Coetzee emile at nospamexinet.co.za
Wed Mar 26 10:47:55 GMT 2003

We like Eclipse and we also like CVSNT. What's the deal with Eclipse and
CVSNT support? Do the Eclipse/CVSNT users have to put pressure on Eclipse to
support CVSNT? Or have they said they won't support it?

Okay after digging thought eclipse.org

  1.. Why isn't CVSNT supported?
  The reason CVSNT isn't supported is because traditionally its development
effort has been smaller and has lagged behind that of CVS Linux, thus its
quality tends to be of issue. Our experience is that every new version of
CVSNT has subtle bugs which are specific to it, while as CVS Linux has been
comparatively and consistently solid. We fix CVSNT bugs where time permits
but we don't include it in our test passes for reasons above. In general
those who are 'serious' about it choose CVS Linux for reliability (eg.
eclipse.org), which at that scale (e.g. corporate code storage) warrants a
dedicated machine anyway with an appropriately chosen OS. If the community
feels that a greater CVSNT effort is warranted, then this would be an
excellent avenue for community contribution.

So it looks like there has to be a mindset change on eclipse's side.

Cheers

Emile

> Eclipse don't support CVSNT, and as they make some rather large
assumptions
> about the output of each command, they'd need to add specific support for
it
> in some places.  You'll probably be forced to drop Eclipse or install a
Unix