[cvsnt] lag

Scott Lundgren s_l at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 26 22:28:14 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to help someone out, I'm familiar with admining CVS on Linux, but
a little new to CVSNT.
My guess is they are using 1.11.1.3-65 or 1.11.1.3-66 (I've been unable to
confirm it) on W2K with the latest patches.
The problem is a 20 second delay in response from Eclipse (yeah, I know
unsupported...) when using it in the internal network using the pserver
protocol. When the same diff is performed using an Eclipse client installed
on the same machine running CVSNT over the local protocol response is
immediate, thus I'm ruling out an Eclipse/CVSNT incompatibility. There is no
similar lag seen in other internal network applications, thus ruling out a
network issue.

My theory is a misconfiguration of CVSNT that is causing something to time
out and then the Eclipse client is falling back to  default behaviour, then
the diff works. Does my theory sound reasonable? Has anyone experienced
something similar? Where would you suggest I start investigating that 20
second delay?

- SL