[cvsnt] Crashes

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Mar 26 20:27:55 GMT 2003

Steve Baxter wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> I did try the latest build (2.0.0rc2) and still got the same problem.
> We have gone back to 1.11.1.2 (which we have been using the last couple
> of years) and the crashes seem to have gone.

There haven't been any reported problems with the latest version, except
where I suspect someone was seeing the side effect of using a network share
(not sure, but I added a workaround anyway).  I expect that one would be
hard to duplicate, though.

I've not hear from anyone using Mac clients - it's possible they're sending
something that Windows/Unix clients never send, and that's tripping
something up.

> The other odd thing was that it seemed to be very slow for the server
> to authenticate users in 2.0.0 - it could take about 10 seconds.  With
> 1.11.1.2 this has gone back down to less than 1 second.  Not sure what
> is going on here!  We are using pserver and domain authentication.
> This slow down is a major pain when you are committing lots of files.

That's probably the classic reverse DNS problem, which crops up occasionaly.
Either that or the connection between your server and PDC is slow (1.11.1.2
did little or no domain authentication, so it wouldn't see it).

TBH I'm surprised that old version is remotely stable for you, given the
number of bugs that have been fixed since.