[cvsnt] debugging? "can't create lock file - no such file or dir"

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun May 25 10:07:43 BST 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003 17:42:08 +1000, Bob Smart <smart at hpc.CSIRO.AU>
wrote:

You say you can't do an "immediate" checkout, what exactly do you mean
by this?
Normally an import of a source tree is just that, the files are
registered with CVS. To start working you must check out this module
to a new *empty* location. Trying to check out on top of the original
source tree fails because there are already files there and CVS will
never replace a file not under version control. (The existing files
are not yet under CVS control in your PC at this point.)

>I get the same error if the lock service is stopped?!
Lockservice is only used if switched on in the config file in CVSROOT

>After my uninstall/reboot/reinstall the cvs service
>control still remembered my old repository prefix and
>added repository. Where does it keep that? I presumed it
>must be in the registry but I can't see it there.
Look here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CVS\Pserver

>I got the source but visual studio 6 doesn't like it:
>looks like it needs 7 (which I guess is Visual Studio .NET).
Not true, I can compile in VS6. But it takes some setup inside the
bloated VS6 IDE to make it run properly. You must also install a
number of other Microsoft tools like the proper SDK:s.
I believe this ic covered in a readme file somewhere in the source
tree.

>> First did it with 2.0.4, then with 2.1.1. Then uninstalled,
>> rebooted and reinstalled following
>> http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html very
>> closely.

Sorry, but I have not changed this instruction page in a while and a
*few* things have changed since the last time I edited it
unfortunately.
Don't have time now to update it though since I am lagging behind with
my servers so I don't have the needed expertise....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)