[cvsnt] debugging? "can't create lock file - no such file or dir"

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sun May 25 19:50:59 BST 2003

Looking at your log, it looks like there could be a logical (e.g. user)
problem with your method:

> P.S. transcript:
> farrer.7% cvs import suxen sma045 start
> I suxen/CVS
> farrer.7% cvs co suxen
> cvs server: Updating suxen
> cvs server: cannot create read lock in repository `S:/CVS/HPSC/suxen': No
suc
<<<<<

Where did it create the rcs files for you?  Perhaps in
s:/cvs/hpsc/suxen/suxen?  Search for "testwalk.pl,v" to find out.  You need
to set the CVSROOT before you can use the import command, or at least use
the -d to specify it during the import.

Also, CVSNT 2.0.4 is the current stable version, 2.1.x is the next
development.  Either should work, but the 2.1.x is considered unstable so
I'd recommend using 2.0.x until 2.2.x comes out (even=stable, odd=dev).

Unless you've configured your repository (via the CVSROOT/config file) to
use lock server, then the CVSNT locks are still file locks.

Further, S: is typically a network drive, be aware that sandboxes and/or
repositories on remote drives are not recommended.  The sandbox should be on
the client's local drive and the repository on the CVS server's local drive.

I documented my setup in the wiki, perhaps you can use it as a baseline to
get you up and running.
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/SetAcl

Regards,

Glen Starrett