[cvsnt] cvs-emacs

Richard Lovell Richard.Lovell at terralink.co.nz
Wed Nov 5 21:47:40 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I'm currently responsible for introducing cvs to our dvpt team. We currently
have a test server and will soon migrate it to a production cvs server. My
cvs client of choice is jCVS, although I have to illustrate how we can talk
to cvsnt from different clients. The majority of our team using emacs.

I have successfully installed the pcl-cvs-1.05 package for emacs, although I
don't think it is configured properly. If I issue cvs commands it will crash
emacs. As an interim measure CVSROOT is set when starting emacs. I have been
testing connecting to a cvs server by using a shell within emacs. However,
the client seems to hang using 100% cpu. This happens when trying to
communicate with both our cvsnt server and another unix cvs server, which
would suggest a config problem.

Part of the problem is probably my misunderstanding of the configuration.
For instance pcl-cvs requires a path to the cvs executable. This doesn't
make sense, if the cvs server is on a separate machine. So is it safe to
assume that emacs can only connect to a cvs server residing on the same
physical machine. I would certainly hope not!

Would any emacs users be able to supply details of their
setup/configuration.

regards
Richard Lovell