[cvsnt] cvs-emacs

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Thu Nov 6 21:45:17 GMT 2003

Richard Lovell wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>I'm currently responsible for introducing cvs to our dvpt team. We currently
>have a test server and will soon migrate it to a production cvs server. My
>cvs client of choice is jCVS, although I have to illustrate how we can talk
>to cvsnt from different clients. The majority of our team using emacs.

On Windows or on Unix?

>Part of the problem is probably my misunderstanding of the configuration.
>For instance pcl-cvs requires a path to the cvs executable. This doesn't
>make sense, if the cvs server is on a separate machine.

Yes it does - CVS is normally used as a client-server system. The cvs
executable is both a server and a client.
Emacs requires either

a) that the path to the cvs executable is explicitly set up in .emacs
b) the cvs executable is in the PATH.

Personally, I use the second approach (you probably want to be able to
use CVS from the command line anyway).

What this boils down to is: If the cvs executable is in the PATH, *no*
configuration of Emacs is necessary.

This holds true for both Windows and Unix.

-Torsten