[cvsnt] cvsnt crash

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Nov 11 16:48:18 GMT 2003

You should always copy the list with on-topic replies so the conversations
ends up in the archive and others can benefit.

> In my current office I started to install one week ago cvsnt 2.0.11
> on W2k SP4. I followed your instructions on
> "http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/InstallationTips" while
> installation, made the
> recommended settings with the control panel
> (like "use local users ..." on Advanced tab), have created succesfully
> a CVS repository root.

I didn't write those (Bo did) and it's been so long since I used them that
I'm not familiar with it any more.  It sounds like you may have some
conflicting actions here, but that shouldn't cause a crash by any means.  It
can be confusing to set up cvsnt with all the different options all laid out
in front of you.

> After your advices in your email I stopped my McAfee and my Personal
> Firewall ...
> but nothing changed.

Others have reported that just stopping the firewall isn't enough, you need
to uninstall it for all it's effects to stop.  Antivirus usually will just
cause some timing issues but not a crash.  Try uninstalling the firewall
part.

> On the W2k machine I also tried to compile your sources with
> Visual Studio
> .NET 2002.
> I was able to build the service and to run it. It also
> crashes with access
> violation,
> everytime at the same position, but somewhere in system DLL's ...
> there is curently no hint for me for a bad/nil pointer access
> or something
> equal.

Not my source, either :)  It's good you get consistent results, makes it
easier to tell when the problem is fixed.  It sounds like you're using
pserver, impersonation off, right?

You could try running cvsnt server in debug mode by running cvsservice
-{something}, I forget the switches.

Are you getting a crashdump?  If you can get one then you can send that in
to the address on the cvsnt web page.  Tony has a good track record for
curing those type problems quickly.

Glen Starrett