[cvsnt] Differences between CVS and CVSNT (was: [TortoiseCVS] Home page update)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Nov 11 20:20:00 GMT 2003

Glen Starrett wrote:

> What else?

Edit -c and commit -c support.
Repository prefixes.
Reads config from /etc/cvsnt/<config> (although the --allow-root syntax
still works, for backward compatibility).
Ability to enforce encryption/compression rules on the server.

On Unix CVSNT requires a working GNU toolset (gcc, autoconf, etc.) to
compile as I don't personally think the effort is worthwhile supporting
random proprietary compilers... this isn't much of an issue in practice
(gcc has been ported to just about everything) but it's different to
cvshome.org cvs which doesn't have this requirement.

The documentation is maintained in the wiki rather than texinfo.

The main difference I believe is philosopy.  If someone has a patch and
it doesn't break anything it'll usually go in (eventually).  Although
I'm really concentrating on the 2.1.x branch at the moment so it's
slowed down a bit.