[cvsnt] Feature request unreserved edit

irodriguez perez irodriguezp at cirsa.com
Tue Nov 18 10:43:30 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I am using cvsnt 2.0.11 with WinCVS 1.3.13.1 (cvsnt 2.0.11 too).

I have a suggestion but i don't know if it is very useful, i think
it can be util to reserved checkout and unreserved checkout question.

With cvsnt we can do a reserved edit (cvs edit -c). So if we use it
we have the next scenario:

1.-cvs edit -c file1.txt. (Only edit file1.txt if anyone has editted it
too)
2.-modify file1.txt.
3.-cvs commit -c file1.txt.

And file1.txt is automatically uneditted (and read-only).

If we do a cvs edit without -c option.

1.-cvs edit file1.txt. (Edit file1.txt althought another user has done a
                         reserved edit).
2.-modify file1.txt.
3.-cvs commit -c file1.txt.

And file1.txt can't be uneditted (the file is writeable), but if we change
it and try a commit -c the command fails (that's ok) saying that the user
is
not a valid editor. The only way to do it unwriteable with cvs unedit
command is to do a cvs edit again and a then do a cvs unedit.

Well, if i want edit a file, i can do cvs edit and cvs edit -c, but, what
happens
if i want edit a file with 2 conditions?:

1.-I don't want edit file1.txt if another user has done a reserved edit on
it.
2.-I want allow to other users edit the file at the same time i am editing
it, i don't want to do a reserved edit, i want to do an unreserved edit.

I can't do cvs edit because condition 1 fails.
I can't do cvs edit -c because condition 2 fails.

Is there some way to do it? If there is another way please say me, but i
haven't
could find it.

I propose a new edit option. For example -u. With this option if another
user has
editted the file with a reserved edit i couldn't edit it. But if anyone has
done a
reserved edit on the file i can edit it. If another user use edit -u, after
i used
it, he can edit the file.

Of course, reserved edit should change, if a user wants to do a reserved
edit on a
file, but the file has been editted with -u option the command shall fail.

A normal scenario for this is:

1.-cvs edit -u file1.txt. (Only edit file1.txt if anyone has done a
reserved edit on file1.txt
                            and allow to other users to do *unreserved
edits*)
2.-modify file1.txt.
3.-cvs commit -c file1.txt.

And file1.txt is automatically uneditted (and read-only).

Well, i don't know if somebody can find it useful, but i think it can do
the reserved and
unreserved checkouts in cvsnt clearer than now.

Also it can prevents the situtation when a user forgets to activate -c
option and doing
a cvs edit only, with the cvsrc file on the server (edit -u). I tried
prevents this
situation using edit -c on the cvsrc file, but this solution wasn't valid
because
sometimes i don't want to do a reserved edit and another times i want to do
it,
(and edit -f don't ensure me that another user has done a reserved edit,
the only
way to do it is answering *manually* to the users that are editing the file
(cvs editors)).

Thanks.

Nacho.

P.S: This situation is not equal that cvs admin -l command, because with
cvs edit -f command
     we can modify the file althought that another user has done a reserved
edit.

información CONFIDENCIAL sometida a secreto profesional o cuya divulgación
esté prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este
mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta
misma vía o por teléfono (34 93 739 67 00) y proceda a su destrucción.
Nótese que el correo electrónico vía Internet no permite asegurar ni la
confidencialidad de los mensajes que se transmiten ni la correcta recepción
de los mismos.  En el caso de que el destinatario de este mensaje no
consintiera la utilización del correo electrónico vía Internet, rogamos lo
ponga en nuestro conocimiento de manera inmediata.

information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by a professional privilege
or which disclosure is prohibited by law. If this message has been received
in error, please immediately notify us via e-mail or by telephone (34 93
739 67 00) and delete it.
Please note that Internet e-mail does not guarantee the confidentiality or
the proper receipt of the messages sent.  If the addressee of this message
does not consent to the use of Internet e-mail, please communicate it to us
immediately.