[cvsnt] Fwd: e: missing expected branches, but the branches exists.

irodriguez perez irodriguezp at cirsa.com
Fri Oct 3 09:11:29 BST 2003

Hi another time Tony.

> Using admin -o in this way sounds like you're asking for trouble.
> I've had to use it maybe once in the last 4 years, and then only
> immediately after the commit... Can I ask why you using it so
> extensively?  There may be a better way.

The reason because i used admin -o was the size of the repository for
backups. It is responsability of another person and he was saying me that
he needed two tapes to backup the repository and if there was a way to
do the repository more little, so i saw the admin -o option
in the cerderqvist to clean some revisions of binary files (the repository
files of binary were the biggest), but when i ran admin -o option
accidentally one
time i didn´t wrote the file (I was in WinCVS command window) and althought
stopped the command it affected some files.
 Well, is a (stupid) user bug after all, not a cvsnt bug ;-).
 A better way? i would wish to delete some revisions of binary files
(obsoletes) to make the backup easier, but if it couldn't be possible i
can delete these binary files of the repository althought is very util
to me have these files on CVS because when i have *stable* versions
i can retrieve these revisions without checkout all project and compile
it to generate the file (i work with embbebed software and these files
are ".hex"). But if i should delete the files of the repository i will
do it.

>> cvs server: nothing known about ###_DIR_###/file1.psl
>>
> You shouldn't ever see that (it's an internal marker).  It's only set
> if you try to checkout/export to an absolute path. It was forbidden in
> the old CVS because of the way the protocol works & I tried to work
> around it, which seems to be OK for most purposes.
 Well the ##_DIR_## marker appears when i try to checkout a file (HEAD
revision) and
it had only one revision on VENDOR_BRANCH (1.1.1.1), so in reference to my
previous
mail, now, if i try to checkout the module without force /rev/branch option
(HEAD)
i see this for test1.txt:
 cvs server: nothing known about ###_DIR_###/test1.txt
 So there isn't a way to checkout the file test1.txt. Originally it had
only the
revisions created in the import command. I have lost this file.

>> Well, this is now my petition, Could cvsnt don't delete with the cvs
>> admin - o command revisions that were brached but not committed on this
>> brach?.

> That may be difficult to arrange.  Probably it's better to fail admin
> -o if there are any modified files in those that are selected, because
> it's a rats nest otherwise.  TBH I'd prefer to fail the entire command
> rather than individual files if there are issues, otherwise you get an
> inconsistent repository.
 Ok, i will never use cvs admin -o again if it is necessary, but another
petition (and is the last and for other users in the future) to prevents
the file
test1.txt case is to make the VENDOR BRANCH revision Undeleted. Because if
no
revision is commited after the first on the import if accidentally this
revision
is deleted this file is lost forever. Or fail the entire command, of
course.
 Thanks again.
 Nacho.

información CONFIDENCIAL sometida a secreto profesional o cuya divulgación
esté prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este
mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta
misma vía o por teléfono (34 93 739 67 00) y proceda a su destrucción.
Nótese que el correo electrónico vía Internet no permite asegurar ni la
confidencialidad de los mensajes que se transmiten ni la correcta recepción
de los mismos.  En el caso de que el destinatario de este mensaje no
consintiera la utilización del correo electrónico vía Internet, rogamos lo
ponga en nuestro conocimiento de manera inmediata.

information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by a professional privilege
or which disclosure is prohibited by law. If this message has been received
in error, please immediately notify us via e-mail or by telephone (34 93
739 67 00) and delete it.
Please note that Internet e-mail does not guarantee the confidentiality or
the proper receipt of the messages sent.  If the addressee of this message
does not consent to the use of Internet e-mail, please communicate it to us
immediately.