[cvsnt] RE: Notification when cvs "touches" a local file

Hartmut Honisch hartmut_honisch at web.de
Thu Oct 9 13:53:57 BST 2003

> I think that WinCvs uses an API hook to get notification when
> files change.
> It uses this on the "normal" sandbox files, but I guess that you
> could write
> an app that does the same on the Entries files. Then you don't
> need to scan
> for changes because you get a notification when it has changed..

Interesting idea ... What's the API - ShChangeNotifyRegister?

I would have to parse the directory tree and install hooks for each Entries
file (I hope I don't crash Windows if there are too many of them).
Unfortunately, I would still have to backup each Entries file, because I
only get notified _after_ the change has occurred. And I may run into
problems if CVSNT accesses the Entries file multiple times. Then I get
multiple notifications, and I'd like to wait for the final notification
before I start comparing. But how do I know it's the final one?

I have to think about this ... but things would be certainly easier if CVSNT
and TCVS would cooperate somehow.

-Hartmut