[cvsnt] Should commits on edit -c files notifying editor?

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Tue Oct 14 18:52:16 BST 2003

After an upgrade to version 2.0.11 and a change to :sspi: protocol from
:ntserver: our developers started getting notify emails when they
committed files on which they had an edit lock.

1. cvs edit -c file.sys
2. edit file somehow
3. cvs commit file.sys
4. receive notify spawned email regarding the file

This didn't happen under the old 1.11.1.3 version and it seems like
these people should not be getting notifications given the Cederqvist
entry on notify:

"CVS does not notify you for your own changes. Currently this check is
done based on whether the user name of the person taking the action
which triggers notification matches the user name of the person getting
notification."

I found a couple archive mails about this but the response recommend
going down an edit -a none route in the .cvsrc file.  This is likely a
possible workaround but it seems like this a bug to me.

Is this a bug?

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation