[cvsnt] shared repository on dual boot system

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Oct 19 23:02:00 BST 2003

keith d. zimmerman wrote:

> One option that may save some greif is to mount the file system in
> read-only
> mode in one of the OS's.  This would give you perhaps a bit of safety, but
> you would need to reboot to commit or tag.  Setup in 2000 a server on an
> NTFS partition, then mount it readonly in linux....   Tony, i don't know
> if this would work or not??????

Yes, but it wouldn't be that useful really, being read-only.

> Other than that, if you cannot try it, I may be able to conduct a basic
> test
> for you.  Tony, what are the DST problems with FAT?

FAT stores everything in local time.  Windows has a hard enough time
converting that to UTC (it doesn't get it right always, either).  Linux has
an even harder time of it, because DST is a per-user setting (there's a
recurrent 'issue' that if you write to a FAT filesystem, change your
timezone setting, then look at the filesystem you'll find that the time is
incorrect... it's not actually solvable IIRC).

CVSNT still has some FAT issues with mixed timezones...  I'd prefer it if
FAT went away and shot itself, but it's still there for DOS compatibility
unfortunately.