[cvsnt] Update branch from head

Andreas Tscharner andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch
Tue Oct 28 13:05:34 GMT 2003

Bo Berglund wrote:

> Still it does not make sense to me to use one branch for *each* of your test
> machines....

I have only ONE branch for me on several test machines...

> If you have one checked out copy on your personal PC, then you have several
> other PC:s that you also use to work on it makes sense to me to have a sandbox
> on each of these PC:s but all on the development branch (same branch everywhere).
>
> Then wherever you are working, you start by updating your sandbox to get the
> files from any other PC you have worked on previously. Then you do your tests
> and modifications and when you are done you *commit* from this PC.
>
> Back at the other PC(s) you start again by doing an update and now you have
> the newly changed files in this sandbox as well (still on the devel branch).

That's exactly what I do. My problem is that I cannot make an update to
my branch from the main trunk.
The only thing I can do is merge from HEAD and thus all newer files are
marked changed, so if I merge all back to HEAD I have several files with
no change, but an increased number that makes tracking down a specific
change in a file a pain...

> When you finally decide that all of your tests come out OK (on all test PC:s)
> then you can merge the devel branch into TRUNK. And probably start a devel2
> branch for further work.

So do you suggest no updates/merges from the main trunk while working on
my new function or bugfix?

> /Bo

Best regards
	Andreas