[cvsnt] Update branch from head

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Oct 28 16:28:01 GMT 2003

> That's exactly what I do. My problem is that I cannot make an
> update to
> my branch from the main trunk.
> The only thing I can do is merge from HEAD and thus all newer
> files are
> marked changed, so if I merge all back to HEAD I have several
> files with
> no change, but an increased number that makes tracking down a
> specific
> change in a file a pain...

Try this:
--Upgrade your server to latest stable version
The latest cvsnt has better recognition of changes, better handling of
merges.  You won't get conflicts in some situations where you used to when
merging back and forth.

--Always commit before and after a merge operation.
CVSNT uses "mergepoints" to better remember where a file was last changed.
My knowledge on the specific on how this works is low, but I think that it
works best when you commit before and after a merge because the mergepoint
record saves when it is a 'pure' merge (I'm not clear on what that means,
likely means only 1 merge operation since last commit).  In any case,
merging before and after is best because you can easily roll back if
necessary.

Mergepoints help cvsnt find the common ancestor of 2 files for a better
2-way diff.

--Don't use $Log$ tags.  It's OK to use others.
The break merges by having lots of conflicts, this is just because of the
nature of $Log$ tags.  The others have been improved to NOT cause conflicts
when merging--which caused a lot of false updates on my sandboxes before
this was implemented.  This was changed somewhat recently.

Hope this helps.

Glen Starrett