[cvsnt] Update branch from head

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Oct 28 16:02:26 GMT 2003

> So I wanted to ask: Is there a way to update my branch from the HEAD
> (and not merge)?

Short answer is:  No by design.  To update from HEAD is to merge, that is
the definition of it.  Don't be concerned by committing code frequently.
Personally I merge back and forth between HEAD and my dev branch all the
time (merge in changes from dev to HEAD, stabilize in test, merge those
stabilization updates back to dev).  An alternative to that is to create a
fresh branch after merging back to HEAD, but I prefer to have fewer branches
in my repo.

I think his question is related to that 'sliding branchpoint' discussion we
had sometime back, where the person wants to automatically (or without
having to merge/commit) have files that are unchanged from the branchpoint
stay synched with HEAD.

The flaw with that discussion--and the desire to keep a branch updated from
HEAD without updating the entire sandbox--is that if you get several files
updated as part of the same functional change of code and you only update a
few of those, it will break your sandbox.

Let us know if we didn't understand the intention of what you're trying to
achieve.

Regards,

Glen Starrett