[cvsnt] Basic basic help needed

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Sep 14 23:55:33 BST 2003

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:42:22 -0500, "Chris Stromberger"
<cstrom16 at comcast.net> wrote:

> >I am lost re how to get remote access working.  I don't understand
>all
>> >the options (pserver, sspi, etc).  Can anyone explain in very simple
>> >terms how to set something basic up.  I just need this to work for
>one
>> >remote user--me.  The documentation hasn't helped me yet.
>> >
>> >Thanks for any clues.
>> >
>> >-Chris
>> >

>> It all depends on what you mean by "remote"...
>> How remote do you want it to be?
>> If it is sufficient to reach the server from another Windows XP
>> computer on your local network then you should use the SSPI protocol.
>> There is nothing else you need to do than this:
>>

>I need access to my pc at home from my pc at work.  So it "very remote"
>access I am seeking.
>
>-Chris

OK,
I can only tell you how my home CVS server is accessed remotely then:

1. I have opened port 2401 in the ADSL firewall to point to the CVS
server PC on the inside LAN
2. I use sspi protocol
3. On the remote computer (dialup link to the Internet) I have set the
root as :sspi:myuser at firewallIP:/myrepo
4. The first time I accessed this repository from the remote location
I did a cvs login and gave the password for myuser on the cvs server
PC.
5. After this it works without a hitch. No further cvs login needed.

Notice above that the IP of the firewall must be entered as the cvs
server because the firewall forwards port 2401 to the real server but
from the outside it looks like the firewall is the server.
I use a Dlink ADSL modem/firewall as the firewall so there is no PC up
front at all.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)