[cvsnt] Newbie Question: Changing Version number explicitly

Paul Russell paul_newsgroups at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 18 08:18:47 BST 2003

Quick Answer - Don't

CVS versions 1.x.x numbers are for internal CVS use, and the 1. stays at the beginning. The change everytime you commit a file and thus are not syncronized to you're releases but to file states.

Use Tags to define repository states that match your "releases".
Something Like: tag_19_Released  or  tag_19_PreProduction

Use Prefixes to define Tags, Branches, and Merge Points
t_ or tag_, b_ or branch_, m_ or merge_
That will help when you're trying to sort all the labels that have been applied to a file,
and its useful for the mergepoint display in CVSGraph as well.

-Paul R.

AKM <ariz at nospamarisetech.net> wrote:
Hi

Apologies in advance if this question has been answered before, I didn't
find it on this NG. I am completely new to CVS (having used Continuus a few
years ago); I am checking in a project which is quite old but work is still
continuing on it. The problem is that the version checked in is 1.1.1. Now
My project is already at the 1.9 build 10xx stage.

I was trying to explicitly set the version number while checking in but I
can't find any option to do so. Even after check in I can't find a way to
change the version number of the checked in project.

Please advice cause without this it would cause me a lot of confusion, I
would have to maintain version numbers manually (CVS v1.1.3 = Product
version 1.9x).

I'm using wincvs as a client.

Are there any books or comprehensive documentation for using CVS, especially
on the Windows platform?

Thanks-Ariz