[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt patches/improvements

Alexandre Augusto Drummond Barroso adrummond at bdmg.mg.gov.br
Thu Sep 25 18:05:49 BST 2003

There is another patch I would like to see in CVSNT. I don't know if Tony is already working on somethink like this, but sending diffs to the servers instead of complete files would be a big performance enhancement since network latence is usually worse then local file system latence.
It would work like something like this:

in the client side:
if CVS\Base dir has a copy of the file, send a diff to the server
else send complete file

in the server side:
if a diff is sent, recreate the file in temp dir patching it from the version the client file is based on
else put the complete file in temp dir

I think the new file transmition could be allowed if just after authentication the client send a new command requesting diff transmitions. If an error is returned the client assumes it's communicating with a regular CVS server. If an OK is returned, the client assumes diff file transmition is allowed. The changes needed in the protocol won't break compatibility this way and the file tramsmition could be done by sending diff size and a "diff" string, newline, and diff contents. The regular file transmition may remain "file size, new line, contents".

BTW, how is the implementation of database storage on mysql? Are you planning to use any binary diff algorithm for binary files?

Cheers,

Zandall.