[cvsnt] Re: logging nt working

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Apr 7 19:29:13 BST 2004

Steve Swanson wrote:
> It seems the examples in the file have no chance of working on Windows.
> When I changed the path to an absolute hard-coded path, logging worked.
>
> But the line in commitlog looked like
>   ""; id; echo "path/filename,1.9"; date; cat
> so something isn't working right. That is, the semicolon separation isn't
> working.  It's not clear which commands will work.

A semicolon is a command separator in *nix (I think it's specific to
some shells, but I'm no expert).  You can use && as a command separator
in Win32.  I'm not sure what that first empty string command is supposed
to be though.

> I guess I can write a little program to do what's intended.

That seems to be what most people do.  Something else to note as a
difference to some samples not specifically written against CVSNT is
that CVSNT now takes the file lists off STDIN instead of on the command
line.  There is a limit to the maximum number of characters on a command
line that was causing trouble on large commits, so using STDIN works
around that nicely.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett