[cvsnt] Re: CVS Lock Service and slow checkouts

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Apr 15 17:59:43 BST 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:43:00 -0700, "Jake Hughes"
<jhughes at accentopto.com> wrote:

>My server (latest stable CVSNT and Windows 2003 Server) has twice had
>extremely slow checkouts, both times I found the CVS Lock Service using a
>consistent 50% of processor, whether a checkout was in progress or not.
>From what I can tell, the CVS Lock Service hanging at 50% was the cause of
>the slow checkouts.

It's actually normal if you have multiple checkouts for the lockserver
to start consuming some, although you'd need a lot to get to 50% (at
least 20 or 30 I'd expect). I've successfully tested it with 200
simultaneous checkouts and although it slows down it does get there.

Some earlier versions of the lockserver didn't scale nearly so much,
but would still take 10 simultaneous checkouts or more to get to a 50%
load (5% per client isn't bad really, but the new ones are 1% or
less).

Once you get to those levels though your main problem is going to be
memory - a CVS process can use quite a lot, and many of them can fill
your memory.