[cvsnt] Re: Very high network activity

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Apr 15 19:33:54 BST 2004

Aaron Kynaston wrote:
> I've been noticing that whenever I do any CVS activity, cvsnt seems to
> use up a whole lot of bandwith for something that doesn't seem to
> require that much . . .

The network activity isn't that great, really - CVS works well even over
dialup links.  The client tells the server what versions it has (plus the
contents of any edited files), and the server sends back any updates as
required.  That's not a lot...  it'd be difficult to make it less (the client
could send diffs, but that's about it).

As it's all text the -z options improve it a lot, too.