[cvsnt] Re: cvs edit without repository connection doesnt do local actions.

Eliot spam at blennerhassett.gen.nz
Mon Apr 19 04:52:14 BST 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Eliot wrote:
>

> There's also a large note that says the texi documentation is outdated

sorry, I didn't notice that because I was looking at the raw texi file for the
particular topic, bypassing the TOC.

> and the latest documentation is on the wiki.

OK - here it is:

"When using client/server CVSNT, you can use the cvs edit and cvs unedit
commands even if CVSNT is unable to successfully communicate with the server;
the notifications will be sent upon the next successful CVSNT command."

So, the question becomes is the code or the documentation in error?
My (already expressed opinion) is that it is the code.

[to backtrack, I see the problem with wincvs, using cvs client 2.0.24. When I
mentioned this problem on the cvsgui NG, they sent me 'here']

Looking at the source (edit.c) it seems to me that the code is trying to do what
the documentation says:
     /* Now stash the file away in CVSADM so that unedit can revert even if
        it can't communicate with the server. */

Also, I notice that specifying the -f flag doesn't help.  If this could be made
to ignore the lack of server I think this would be a good compromise.

-f -> check_edited=0

     if(errors || (check_edited && editors_found))
     {
         status = 1;
     }
     else
     {
         status = 0;
     }

Perhaps this logic could be changed to make check_edited==0 override any errors?

- Eliot