[cvsnt] Re: Latest updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Apr 19 11:57:33 BST 2004

Oliver Giesen wrote:

> I think advertising this functionality as "renaming" is a bit
> misleading, don't you think? Most people will probably think of rename
> operations in the context of version control as part of a file's
> history, i.e. it should be traceable which revision had what name.

It's a rename in the same sense that changing the filename in the repository
is a rename...  Versioning it is just an extra layer on top.  The final rename
mechanism will (probably) just build a version controlled file with the same
kind of information that modules2 has in it - I really mean that the
underlying mechanism is there and that rename is now an achievable goal.

The rename wouldn't be tracked to the file history but to the directory
history (well, the tree history to be precise, although the user would see it
at the directory level).  Trying to make individual file revisions map to
filenames is a nightmare that I'd rather not tackle (something I learned from
metacvs... wasn't so keen on the actual implementation but the idea of
separating structure from file revisions was a good one and helped me solve
the problem).

> Congrats on the new release and the repackaged cvs manual in any case.
> Pity the one in the Wiki is still too garbled to comfortably link
> against... at which end would this have to be fixed anyway? Are you by
> now maintaining the manual in the Wiki (i.e. it could be fixed by anyone
> with sufficient access to the Wiki) or will you regenerate from source
> whenever you make changes (i.e. it has to be fixed in the converter
> script)?

The source is just docbook, which is quite simple so it's easy to make changes
to.  I've not decided exactly how to link it to the website (assuming the wiki
version goes away) but probably just generate an HTML version and link to it.
I just used http://www.codeproject.com/winhelp/docbook_howto.asp and worked
the rest out from there (it helped that texinfo->docbook was an easy translation).