[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT & UNIX LF

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Apr 20 12:04:19 BST 2004

Victor Prylipko wrote:
> Is it possible to say cvsnt.exe to checkout text files with unix style LF
> mode ?
>
> I know about -kL option.
>
> But, if I try to checkout hole module and module consist of text files and
> binary files, I can't use -kL option, becouse it applays to ALL checkouted
> files.

That's not how that option is supposed to be used! If you are sure that
wherever you are, you always want those files checked out with LF-only,
you should *add* them with this mode in the first place (or change their
mode with cvs admin -kL after the fact). After this -kL becomes sticky,
i.e. the file will always be treated as LF-only by default.

There should however only be very few occasions where this is necessary.
Most of the time it's much safer to just let CVS sort it all out by
itself. Most people requesting this functionality turn out to be working
on mapped Samba drives which is an unsupported (and probably soon
technically impossible) setup.

> When I using wincvs to checkout, I can set options "Checkout text files with
> the Unix LF (0xa)".
>
> How to same thing with command-line cvs.exe.

You should not use that option at all. It has only led to grief in the
past. A few months ago, somebody posted a full finding about the
behaviour of this command (i.e. all possible combinations of platforms,
option on/off on checkout/commit, etc.) on the CVSGUI list:
Make sure you have read that post before using this option. The bottom
line (for me at least) seemed to be that it is not really easily
predictable (without consulting that table) what will happen to your
files if you use that option. My guess is that it is likely to disappear
from the UI in one of the next releases.

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org