[cvsnt] Question about tagging.

JasonWisener tanky1972 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 25 02:57:21 BST 2004

The company I am currently working with is in the process of switching from vss to cvs. One of the situations I have is as follows:

We have a "quick changing environment". So we may have developers working on 5 different features to our product. We would like to be able to pick and choose which features are to be included in a particular release. It seems that from the documentation I've been reading it is recommeded to allow development to continue on the "main trunk"; however, that is the problem we are having with vss. The 5 features/changes are inter-mixed together and impossible to split back out. If the manager says we are to pull out feature X, how does one go about finding all the changes that went with feature X? Could this be accomplished with CVS tagging?

It looks like the only way I see doing this is to branch for each feature. Then it could be merged into the main trunk when the manager says, "we need do a early release, and I want to include feature 1, 2 & 3 but leave out feature 4 & 5". Note the features would be independent of each other.

Can anyone recommed or point me in the right direction on how to accomplish this type of configurability using CVS? Can I even accomplish this with tagging?

Thanks,
    Tanky Tank