[cvsnt] Re: Question about tagging.

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sun Apr 25 04:19:56 BST 2004

JasonWisener wrote:

> The company I am currently working with is in the process of
> switching from vss to cvs. One of the situations I have is as
> follows:
>
> We have a "quick changing environment". So we may have developers
> working on 5 different features to our product. We would like to be
> able to pick and choose which features are to be included in a
> particular release. It seems that from the documentation I've been
> reading it is recommeded to allow development to continue on the
> "main trunk"; however, that is the problem we are having with vss.
> The 5 features/changes are inter-mixed together and impossible to
> split back out. If the manager says we are to pull out feature X, how
> does one go about finding all the changes that went with feature X?
> Could this be accomplished with CVS tagging?

I think you already know the answer, after using the words "impossible" :)

> It looks like the only way I see doing this is to branch for each
> feature. Then it could be merged into the main trunk when the manager
> says, "we need do a early release, and I want to include feature 1, 2
> & 3 but leave out feature 4 & 5". Note the features would be
> independent of each other.

That would certainly work, but be a major PITA.  It sounds like you
might do better reworking your development methodologies (and educating
your managers).

Tagging in CVS does one of two things:  create a branch or identifies a
point in time.  Neither will do the impossible, but branching would
certainly help if there truly is no way to establish a reasonable order
of implementation and reasonable management expectations.  Often though
there is some interdependence with added features, especially when mixed
like you describe.

> Can anyone recommed or point me in the right direction on how to
> accomplish this type of configurability using CVS? Can I even
> accomplish this with tagging?
>
> Thanks, Tanky Tank

Good luck :)

--