[cvsnt] Re: Question about tagging.

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sun Apr 25 23:13:39 BST 2004

JasonWisener wrote:
> Hmmmm....
> I understand what you are saying Glen about expectations and process
> improvement, I am definitely on your side there ;)
>
> But we have someone that worked at a company that states they had used cvs
> to provide this type of configurability . He stated that the system allowed
> them to "tag" features and then when the build master got ready to build,
> he/she could simply pull a list of tags and then build all of that together.
> Seems like it could be possible?

It sounds like they did what you already mentioned--develop independent
features on seperate branches.  Then the "buildmaster" (sounds like a
cool job title ;)) merges the appropriate branches in and, assuming no
conflicts emerge, you end up with the desired combination of features.
If your features are sufficiently non-trivial then I would think the
overhead of managing the branches would be reasonable.

I would be curious to know for sure though--why don't you ask this other
company's buildmaster for some details?  Unless it's a proprietary
process I would think he'd be willing to talk about it.

--
Glen Starrett