[cvsnt] tag control

Friedrich Niederreiter friedrichniederreiter at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 08:20:42 BST 2004

Hello,

we are in the process of investigating the switch from
an exclusive lock oriented Version Control System to
CVS. Currently, we use tags very heavily to identify a
healthy (at least compilable) version of our main
stream software and assing about two tags a day. For
this reason, anybody creating a tag must prevent
everybody else from making a tag, to avoid situations
where one tag is not already fully assigned to the
correct revisions, but already used as a base for the
second person creating another tag.

I understand that using the edit/watch features and a
defined process flow would minimize this risk. I have
not found any discussion in books or this newsgroup
that talk about such a problem. So my questions are:

- Is the assignment of two tags at the same time not a
problem when using CVS? If not, why not?
- Is this problem somehow supported by CVS, possibly
by using exclusive locks on a dedicated file?

I am a newbie to CVS and have been exclusive lock
oriented the last eight years :-). Maybe its the mind
shift I havent been capable of managing....

Thanks

Friedrich